Saturday 21 March 2015

Journey for an Aadhar card..in Kerala

                  


                   Aadhar card is the next big thing around... at least that's what people say around here... A unique ID for over a 125 crore population... a big initiative nevertheless. As everyone were talking about it, I too one but and the problem was I had no idea about what it was...And the bigger problem was I didn’t know whom to ask. So I started my journey... (Which ended up as a stroll)
                   The idea of Adhaar card was to map the unlisted and the economically downtrodden...to give an identity for every Indian , yes the idea was clear but like many government initiatives the path was not.. All the conditions and proofs where clearly written but where to give those was a question with no answer. As always and as anyone in the present age I tried in the 'net'... Only thing I found was a site which took billions of seconds to load and even more to load the next link...(pun intended) but as I had even more time free with me I sat with it patiently and took the pain .
 As they say there is no gain without pain... I found out the link for "enrollment center search"... but the great thing was my district was not mentioned... I had enough with the site so I went to the next best thing that was calling the geek around… but even he had no idea...

As am from Kerala I knew about Akshaya centers... a wonderful undertaking by the state. It’s an institution which helps the common man know powers of IT... various services were done through it... so I took the next way... I decided to call the akshaya center next to my home... I found out the number from net (was easy)... then I called... a rough voice greeted and said to come over and get the form done along with any Photo Id card issued by government.

I went over to the Akshaya center and found myself being quizzed by a lady. She said to get the Aadhar card form from the shop nearby and enroll the name there itself. I got the form for 2 rs and wrote my name and phone number. They asked me to wait for a week by the time they will call me. And I waited for a week. :)

After a week.... (Sadly I got my mood to complete the journey after 2 years)..... I went to the center on time... But only see it many others also had the same time given... I waited amid the crying babies and heavily scented ladies...The girl next to me was good looking and as I was about to start a conversation with her, the Peon called her in.. Tough luck I thought... In the meanwhile The guy next to me was pushing me out of the bench. I wanted to shove him off, but seeing his arms I thought otherwise... I sat there being entertained by the push for half an hour and finally my turn was up... As I went in the beautiful girl went out, and she gave me a smile. I couldn’t believe that girl smiled and here I was already inside the office, I was left with no choice... I cursed my luck took the char. The lady at the desk looked unimpressed asked my whereabouts as if she intended to marry of her daughter to me, I eagerly essayed on myself as I wished I could meet that girl in the road….

After the questionnaire session the lady just looked down and pulled up the machine from her desk and I knew what was coming... I knew that was it and I knew I’ll be scarred forever... the machine looked unearthly. She said to smile and I did... She said to stay still and I froze as the time stood still, then she pulled the trigger... The light was blinding and my tiring smile had almost drowned. Everything happened within the time period in which PT Usha lost her Bronze At the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics….
The everything came back to life... and there was the lady with the machine again, she asked me whether I needed to see the monitor and I nodded... The worst of my fears turned out to be true as I had the worst pic of mine in a long time... I was again scarred for a lifetime by the government , the machine didn’t see my smile nor it recognized my skin tone .. I looked at her and she understood my look as she did of the many 1000’s sat before me... She just said, ‘Well you are lucky Son, You look handsome’. Handsome..!!! Really that was handsome for her??
I just smiled and then I knew why people smile... As I walked back I saw the next guy walking in with neatly combed hair and a smile... I smiled at him as I knew what was coming for him... Poor chap that’s all I can say and...

And there it was my journey to my Aadhar card but the good part was there was not a journey after all... it was a simple walk to the neighborhood or was as easy as a stroll in the garden to pick your flowers .. But only thing is you just need to know where the garden is.. J



No comments:

Post a Comment